MIMA Student Scholarship Challenge Spring 2019
Sponsored by Fathom Consulting
The Jarrid Grams and Robin Carpenter Memorial Scholarship, funded by Fathom Consulting, provides undergraduate students (open to current first-year students - juniors) of all majors pursuing careers in business, marketing, technology, communications and math with the opportunity to flex their academic muscle and showcase real-world experience by completing a relevant marketing case study.
The scholarship will initially be judged by a panel of MIMA members. Finalists will be chosen and asked to present to the MIMA Board on April 3, 2019, at 6:00 pm. Video conference will be made available for students unable to attend the board meeting in-person.
To qualify for the scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a student member of MIMA - it's easy and free to join. Apply here.
- Provide proof of academic undergraduate enrollment in an accredited Minnesota based university or college as a full-time, undergraduate student not graduating before December 2019.
- Be currently enrolled in a 4-year university.
- Use scholarship funds for educational expenses.
- Cannot have received this award in the past
- Complete the case study challenge below.
Case Study Challenge Details:
You’ve been hired! A startup is launching the first-ever build your own beehive store in the Midwest located in our very own Northeast Minneapolis. The store's model is to offer all the supplies customers need to build and maintain their own bee colony at home. Customers can also pay to become partial owners of a hive at the store where they can help care for the bees.
The company's focus is to support the rapidly declining bee population around the world. Customers will encounter staff who are well versed in how the declining bee population could affect us and how consumers can help prevent that. The parking lot includes electric charging stations, bike racks, and a small community garden.
The challenge: create an integrated marketing plan that is primarily digitally focused. The company wants to raise brand awareness and encourage customers to install their own hives at home. Your help is needed to develop an integrated marketing plan for the first three months of business with a total budget of $50k that includes the following:
- Create their brand name
- Establish their audiences
- Create their key messaging
- Differentiate them from competitors
- Create a high-level, three-month marketing plan
- Determine campaign measurements and goals for a successful launch
We will award two, $1,000 scholarships.
How to apply
Step 1: Join MIMA - it's FREE! Register here.
Step 2: Submit an integrated marketing plan by 11:59 pm on March 10, 2019, to [email protected] with the scholarship name as the subject line. Campaigns may be submitted via PowerPoint, Video, Prezi, or any other medium appropriate for a presentation you find applicable to your case study.
Step 3: Submit a copy of your latest transcript along with your marketing plan.
Submissions will be judged by the following criteria:
- Campaigns should be actionable for a start-up business
- Appropriate target audience
- Demonstration of strong digital marketing tactics
- Note: submissions will not be judged based on time or page length. However, we encourage participants to refrain from submitting anything more than 5 pages, with an optional appendix, or 10 minutes long.